Conversation about the future | Learn English

Here's an example of a conversation containing future tenses in English:

Peter: "What are your plans for the weekend?"

Jennifer: "I'm going to visit my parents tomorrow. They're having a barbecue in their backyard."

Peter: "That sounds nice. Are you driving there?"

Jennifer: "No, I'm taking the train. It's faster and I don't have to worry about traffic."

Peter: "Got it. And what about Sunday?"

Jennifer: "I haven't decided yet. I might go hiking if the weather is good. Or maybe I'll just relax at home and read a book."

Peter: "Well, let me know if you need any company. I don't have any plans this weekend."

Jennifer: "Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. We can make plans tomorrow when I get back from my parents' house."


This conversation is a typical casual conversation between two friends discussing their plans for the upcoming weekend. Throughout the conversation, they use various future tenses to talk about their plans and make predictions about what they might do.

In the first exchange, Jennifer uses the future tense "I'm going to visit my parents tomorrow" to indicate their plans for the following day. They also use the future tense "They're having a barbecue in their backyard" to describe the event that they will attend.

Peter then asks if Jennifer will be driving, using the future tense "Are you driving there?" to ask about a future action.

Jennifer responds using the future tense "No, I'm taking the train" to indicate their mode of transportation for the future event.

Later in the conversation, Jennifer uses the future tense again when discussing their plans for Sunday. They say "I might go hiking if the weather is good" and "maybe I'll just relax at home and read a book" to discuss two potential activities they might do.

Overall, this conversation is a good example of how to use future tenses in English conversationally. By paying attention to the tenses used in this conversation, learners can improve their ability to talk about future events, plans, and predictions in English.

Comments