To be in Present tense


Lucy: Hi there! How are you?

Peter: I am doing well, thank you. How about you?

Lucy uses "How are you?" to ask about the well-being of the other person. This is an interrogative form using the present tense of the verb "to be."

Peter uses "I am" to affirmatively express their current state. This is a common structure in the present tense.

"To be" is one of the most important verbs in English. It is used to describe existence, identity, state, or relationships between things. "To be" has different forms depending on the subject of the sentence: "am" for first-person singular (I), "is" for third-person singular (he, she, it), and "are" for plural subjects (we, you, they).

Basic Structure

The basic structure of a sentence using "to be" is:

Subject + (am/is/are) + complement

Examples:

I am happy.

She is a doctor.

They are students.

Present Tense

I am: Use "am" when referring to oneself.

He/She/It is: Use "is" for singular nouns and third-person singular pronouns.

We/You/They are: Use "are" for plural nouns and pronouns.

Examples:

I am tired.

She is smart.

We are friends.

Contractions

In informal English, contractions are commonly used with "to be":

I'm (I am)

He's/She's/It's (He is/She is/It is)

We're/You're/They're (We are/You are/They are)

Examples:

I'm happy.

She's a teacher.

They're excited.

Negative Form

To make a sentence negative, use "not" after "am/is/are":

Subject + (am/is/are) + not + complement

Examples:

I am not tired.

She is not a doctor.

They are not students.

Short Negative Forms

In everyday speech, contractions are commonly used with "not":

I'm not (I am not)

He isn't/She isn't/It isn't (He is not/She is not/It is not)

We aren't/You aren't/They aren't (We are not/You are not/They are not)

Examples:

I'm not tired.

She isn't happy.

They aren't here.

Interrogative Form

To form questions, invert the subject and "am/is/are":

(Am/Is/Are) + subject + complement?

Examples:

Am I tired?

Is she a doctor?

Are they students?

Short Questions

In informal speech, contractions are used:

Am I? (I am)

Isn't he?/Isn't she?/Isn't it? (Isn't he/Isn't she/Isn't it)

Aren't they? (Aren't they)

Examples:

Am I tired?

Isn't she happy?

Aren't they coming?

Understanding how to use "to be" (am, is, are) is essential for constructing basic English sentences. Practice using it in different contexts to become more fluent and confident in your English communication skills.


✏️ Essential English Express 📚

📖 Previous Article: Basic Sentence Structure (Subject-Verb-Object)
📖 Next Article: Position and usage of Adjectives

🎓 Ready to learn more? Check out all our English lessons: All Lessons

Comments